Skip to main content

First Impressions: Mairunovich, Girl2k and Celestial Authority Academy Episodes 1-3

Mairunovich jdrama / based on manga 

Kinoshita Mairu is popular as "poison mushroom" (a pun for 'ugly'). She meets Tenyu who gives her a makeover. She's able to have the confidence to go on dates and meets Naru. Meanwhile her neighbor Mirai is not happy with the changes in Mairu. 

Back then I always wonder if it was a reverse harem because of the wallpapers. And I feel a special connection to this even though I haven't read the manga. I'm happy it got a drama adaptation when normally I would always root for the animation route. 

This may be tied with 3B no Koibito as my favorite among the first impressions from Winter Reverse Harem 2021. And this is the drama among the winter lineup where the reverse harem is not really defined. There are three guys alright but it's not marketed blatantly as a reverse harem and it's taking its time for the main characters to build romantic feelings which I appreciate. Some of the reverse harem from winter are short web dramas so the reverse harem is in full speed ahead.

I realized how I miss highschool jdramas after watching Mairunovich. And I was just saying this how I missed highschool kdramas with True Beauty. (Also a makeover drama. It dabbled on reverse harem too but for a teeny weeny moment). The makeover in Mairunovich is casual and not OTT which is perfect. Although she's now pretty her personality is still awkward and hilarious like nothing changed at all like laughing in the middle of the class because of the attention she's getting and getting revenge on the guy who tricked her. The mushroom references on her pillow and phone cover are cute even though it's supposed to be a pun for ugly. It reminds me of all pink references in Hajimete Koi. 

I love the other characters too with how 'real' Anya is or Naru with his fickleness. But except for our main boy, Tenyu. But no worries since his turn hasn't really started yet. Oh okay I don't exactly feel anything yet from Mirai but let's see since he'll be finally making a move on the next episode. Since Tenyu hasn't entered the picture yet as someone after Mairu, my heart is really hoping for Naru and Mairu to work out.  


I can't seem to pinpoint where I've seen Tengu and Naru until I remembered them from these promotional pictures. Guess which manga turned anime turned movie from last year? Yup, Kiss Him, Not Me!  


Girl2k thdrama

Momay is two thousand years old. She may be able to finally die if she falls in love. The prospective candidates are her boss Thawin, the client Mr. Prom, her mentee Moo Tod and the barista/who-lives-near-her-place Kampan. 

The name of their magazine, The Year, may be a good sign for Momay that this is THE year she gets to die. But the foreshadowing is giving away the ending that she's not actually going to die just yet but maybe the one who cursed her will be the one to die and that she will get old with the love of her life until they die.  

The first episode fared well but it went downhill at the end of the second episode. The way the conflict is being handled comically makes it look like a botched-up story. There are loose ends and stuff that does not make sense like glossing over the fact that the guy saw her stabbed. It's a shame because I actually enjoyed the humor of her office co-workers. It's bordering on corny-ish but tolerable.

It's hard to take Momay seriously. I don't know if the actress is intentionally underacting because Momay is bored with her life. Like nothing can shock her anymore. But living in a pandemic has really changed my outlook on life. I applaud how she still gets the motivation in living her life alone for 2000 years. But don't get me started with Momay asking the barista to cough on her face so she can get the virus. I swear if I saw the scene while drinking I'm going to burst. It was funny yet so oh so wrong. 

No favorite guy yet. And it doesn't help that the new boss looks sleepy all the time. Like you won't ever feel scared of him as your boss. And I'm confused with the barista. He's like a dedicated barista in the office but he's also in the coffee shop. And he goes too with their company lunch. He lives near Momay so they spend time together too but nothing's progressing. 

The soundtrack has grown on me. It's a cheesy addicting jingle that I can still hear inside my head. I also realized I haven't finished a thdrama yet but I've watched Thai movies. I thought my first thdrama will be Ugly Duckling Boy's Paradise but I dropped it after the first episode. Now thinking about I should have tried up to the third episode like I do now. I'm still undecided if I will finish this but maybe I will now for the sake of completing one. There's another upcoming thdrama which is Boys Over Flowers (Not a reverse harem, but see Levels of Reverse Harem) 

Can we also talk about the weird staircase where everyone is coming from the second floor? I think the entrance from the second floor. I NEED to see it. 

Celestial Authority Academy cdrama 

Song Lian Yu is the world's greatest novelist and enters the greatest academy as a boy. She meets the four princes: Duan Shao Xuan (his sister is the favorite of the queen), Qian Jia Gu (the son of the general), Cui Chu Yi (his grandfather is the secretary-general), and Gong Zi Ran (adopted son of the prince). 

I disagree with a comment before labeling In A Class of Her Own as a watered-down version of Sungkyunkwan Scandal. But I found myself thinking back again on this comment for Celestial Authority Academy. The story is missing the oomph that will make it at least different from all the gender-bender dramas. At least she wasn't sharing a room and one of the guys realized right away.

The first episode easily earned to-be-dropped status but surprisingly the antics are funny as it progressed. This might be just me. My sense of humor now is questionable now. I cracked up when they were introduced as the best in martial arts and greatest novelist while the other two are simply the son of the richest man and the son of the general. Lol. No one has fallen in love with her yet but the synopsis is: "And many men eventually fall for her." Confirming the reverse harem status is commendable but the straightforward blurb is funny. I would probably use this as a description but I didn't expect this from the official synopsis.  

There is a fun cat and dog relationship between the main characters. It's not the usual bully boy against a girl (pretending-as-a-guy). She can bully him on her own thank you very much. Also for someone so feminine, she looks androgynous when she's disguised as a boy. What sorcery is this?  

Episode 3 ends in an abrupt cliffhanger that is making me want to check what happened. Chinese dramas have abrupt cliffhangers as opposed to kdramas where everything goes in slo-mo and then rotates at 360 degrees. But just like In a Class of Her Own, I really don't care about the supporting characters. Can we skip them, please, and focus on the main cast?

Which dramas are you watching or have finished from winter? Let me know your favorites.

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned: (as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases):
Kiss Him, Not Me 1 https://amzn.to/3vxeg7B
Kiss Him, Not Me!: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] https://amzn.to/3eEp2Ta

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

You can support through Kofi. Shares and whitelisting the site are also appreciated. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...