Skip to main content

Anime Review: My Next Life as a Villainess~ 2020 The year of Bakarina


My Next Life as a Villainess ~ All Roads Lead to Doom! (Otome Gēmu no Hametsu Furagu Shika Nai Akuyaku Reijō ni Tensei Shite Shimatta) 12 episodes  

Eight-year-old Katarina Claes hits her head and realized she's a teenage otaku who's now living her life inside the Fortune Lover game. And as the title has given away...in a villainess role. She's doing her best to circumvent the routes that will lead to her doom. Warning: Some spoilers ahead. Check out First Impression: My Next Life as a Villainess Episodes 1-3. It's my first time creating one so I don't know how to reconcile the my first impression and the review proper. Repeat what I already mentioned or continue where I left off? In the end, I decided to continue where I left off and dabble a bit of what I said before. Also, I have not read the light novel or manga.

I did not expect this to be reverse harem and a...yuri harem at the same time! But since they're all together I don't know what's the right term anymore. My early favorite was Alan, then  Geordo and then Mary. Oh Mary. She's hilarious! She's the most aggressive from the girls or maybe from the party. Sophia is so cute too with her erm cute efforts. They have a very powerful party if they ever go to a quest or something oops they did that actually. I feel bad for Geordo being the fiance after all. There's also a special place in your heart for both their younger versions and their older versions. You get to adore two sets.

The charm of this anime is the heroine I mean villainess...I mean protagonist..there.. or antagonist. Okay, main character...ahhhh I dunno which is which anymore. The charm of the anime is Katarina. She's also the charm that weaves all in the other characters.


It's easy to expect so much after putting it on a very high pedestal. But the story is just simple. And as much as I love Katarina and quirks I got exasperated with her being so dense with their feelings. And everything comes easy for her. No consequences for altering the story. I'm being critical because I watched this right after I finished Extra-Ordinary You kdrama about a girl who realized they are characters in a manhwa and they trying to change the story of the author with adverse effects. So don't mind me. There's a nagging feeling at the back of your head that's she's supposed to be much older now if the time element is the same with reality. Or maybe not.

But after such a long drought of non-otome adaptation (but still about an otome game lol), this is a much-needed change. I think the last one was in  2016 with Kiss Him, Not Me. Whereas game adaptation focuses on the bishonen, in manga and in the same case perhaps of the light novel, the main focus is the heroine.

I cherish the moments that made all characters shine it but did not feel obligatory. I was not happy at first that it's only 12 episodes. I was afraid that I will end up hating it after enjoying 3/4 of the anime. I think I was traumatized with the reverse harem catch up marathon of otome game and mobile game adaptations which all have 12 to 13 episodes. But as we reached the end, I can sigh in relief. Even though the 'villain' to the villainess was a dead giveaway, the use of an otome game element was executed well.  I also read on twitter that the villainess roles do not happen in actual otome games but I think the story is patterned off in romance dramas and shojo mangas? Or is this a thing in isekai light novels?


The news of season 2 perhaps also softens the blow of the finale. I might have been disappointed if that was it as it felt like it didn't progress to anything from a watcher POV and not from Katarina POV. But my gut was telling me that it will have a season 2 announcement in the finale given it has plenty of source material and popularity. I even asked my sons the likelihood of light novels getting sequels since I'm not too updated with the trends.

I was praying for more manga to anime but we got a different answer to which I am a-okay for. I hope the success of MNLAAV will pave the way for more otome isekai light novels adaptations. One of my favorite scenes is the isekai within the isekai episode which pays homage to classic isekai Fushigi Yugi. I always say that I'm an isekai fan because of Fushigi Yugi but I have not yet started my plunge of otome isekai yet except for Lascivious Lady drama. I am so ready now. Goodbye Earth! (I've been saying that for the past 2 years or so.) For non-isekai light novels I've reviewed you may check Saiunkoku Monogatari anime adaptation and Mia and the Forbidden Medicine.

I love the opening credit but not too much of the song but after the anime ended I find myself humming the song it must be because of the feeling that I'll be missing the show. I am thankful for the best spring shows (reverse harem and non-reverse harem) to entertain us in the time of covid19. In the time of coronavirus is there anyone NOT watching this?  I'm not yet ready to add this on my top 10 reverse harem anime but I have a feeling it will be in the future. Halfway through the year, I am now calling it the Year of Bakarina. If you are a newbie to Hamefura fandom like me, this is the nickname given to her by her fans. How did you find the anime? Let me know your thoughts.


My new hobby now is taking screenshots of anime mentioning reverse harem.  If you ever see one for this year even if non-reverse harem, please send it to me. I only started this last year for my 2019 Year in Review. I have one from Hajimete Koi drama and Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy anime. So far for 2020, I have one from Toilet Bound Hanako-Kun and now this.

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

You can support through Paypal  or please whitelist!   

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned:

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Volume 1  Light Novel  https://amzn.to/2C1usXn
My Next Life as a Villainess All Routes Lead To Doom vol.1 manga  https://amzn.to/2NSYBuE
Kiss Him, Not Me 1 manga https://amzn.to/3eYCYVq
Kiss Him, Not Me: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] https://amzn.to/2YYXYGl
Fushigi Yugi Complete Series 1 & 2 Ep 1-52 + OVA 1-9 (3-Box sets) 12 DVDS https://amzn.to/2O3GFxz
Fushigi Yugi, Vol. 1 manga https://amzn.to/38pP7Ad
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 manga https://amzn.to/2BxMdgZ
Mia and the Forbidden Medicine Report novel https://amzn.to/3dQoLZj
Toilet-bound Hanako-kun, Vol. 1manga  https://amzn.to/2NSTNFm

(I may earn a small commission if anyone will purchase through this)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...