Skip to main content

First Impression: In A Class of Her Own ep 1-3 ~ It's starting to feel like Sungkyunkwan Scandal



Xue Wenxi makes use of her brilliant mind by copying and writing romance stories. She will do anything to take care of her family and she's doing all this while pretending as a boy. In desperation, she agreed to stand in for scholar's examinations but ended up studying inside the all-boy Yun Shang Academy. Inside the academy, she will become part of the Yun Shang Quartet. This is a cdrama remake of Sungkyunkwan Scandal kdrama. 

First things first. Sungkyunkwan Scandal is one of my all-time favorite reverse harem kdrama. But with the Levels of Reverse Harem, it's now under two flowers (only 2 guys are interested in her). I was excited at first when I first saw the remake news but then I remembered how disappointed I was with the last two wuxia  I've seen so this time I tried to be indifferent. 



Sungkyunkwan Scandal

The guys are all so strikingly handsome that it hurts when you look at them but I'm not buying them yet for the looks. I think it will be hard to get past with my bias of SS especially my favorite, Mun Jae-sin. I can't remember the exact story now but some of the scenes are giving me deja vu like how she meets Lei Zexin perched on a tree and writing down on Feng Chengjun's robe. The only thing I liked from the first episode is the opening credits where they look like diorama displays.    

In episode 2, I started getting butterflies when Feng Chengjun and Xue Wenxi got stuck in a cave. And true to gender bender fashion, the heroine is so pretty and everyone is too oblivious to notice that she's a girl. I started becoming interested in the show. Calm yourself... 

By episode 3, my walls are crumbling down. I am getting myself so hyped up again. I'm starting to like the two guys now. And to think, Xue Wenxi and Lei Zexin (Mun Jae-shin counterpart) have not officially met yet as students. I think I'm going to fall for him so hard again. Just like I loved my favorite characters no matter who the actors are in all the adaptations of Hana Yori Dango and Hana Kimi. But I'm not feeling the heroine just yet. The only thing likable for now is her looks.  Park Min Young as Kim Yun Sook was always smiling while Xue Wenxi is either frowning or scowling. Why do I have the feeling Yu Lexuan will also fall for her. I hope they all fall in love with her so we can tag this under four flowers and not two flowers. Haha I also don't trust my memory now, the president and courtesan are getting mixed up with Hwarang actors and storyline.

It's too early to tell if we'll enjoy the whole series but I'm optimistic and wishing real hard it will not disappoint later on. Sungkyunkwan is 20 episodes long while IACOHO has 36 episodes. I feel so pressured when it releases 2 episodes every. single. day. I am not ready to binge. Since the quarantine started I pace myself with 1 episode each a day and then ruminate on all those feelings before I watch the next one. But at this point, I want to go all out. I imagine the pacing will be slower or there will be additional scenes to stretch it out with the additional 16 episodes. So far the pacing is just perfect, but then again this is just 3 out of 36. 

It's been a while since I have watched or read a gender bender. The last time was in 2017 with Love In the Moonlight (not a reverse harem), reverse harem anime Kenka Bancho Otome and reverse harem manga Ouran High School Host Club. There are so many upcoming gender bender cdramas too.  My Unicorn Girl, We are Eighteen and (I also added) The Chang'an Youth. But I don't think they are four flowers.  I miss this trope but I not looking forward to watching one after another.

Are you watching this? How do you find it so far? If not you can watch this on iQiyi. I am back on Ko-fi! Buy me a coffee please~ Thank you! :) 

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

You can support through Kofi  or please whitelist!   

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned:
Sungkyunkwan Scandal- Korean Drama (6 DVD, 20 Episodes) All Region with English Subtitles https://amzn.to/335qU1t
Boys Over Flowers: Jewelry Box (Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango) manga https://amzn.to/30YCsB4
Hana-Kimi (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3 (1) manga https://amzn.to/3f86I1E
Love in the Moonlight (PK Korean Drama, English Subtitles) drama https://amzn.to/31aPhbR
Kenka Bancho Otome: Love's Battle Royale, Vol. 1 (1) manga https://amzn.to/3jPFaBC
Kenka Bancho Otome: Girl Beats Boys - The Complete Series Blu-ray + DVD anime https://amzn.to/2CViSO4
Ouran High School Host Club Box Set (Vol. 1-18) manga https://amzn.to/3hJZYIP
Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series (Classic) [Blu-ray] anime  https://amzn.to/3f9nPzV
Ouran High School Host Club (Vol. 1 - 11 End) drama https://amzn.to/39yDqYM
(I may earn a small commission if anyone will purchase through this)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...