Skip to main content

Levels of Reverse Harem



Check out the most up-to-date version HERE.


 

The video above is Levels of Reverse Harem version 2 (also posted here)

Reverse Harem titles were very limited when I first started the blog eleven years ago. I was flexible with many titles where it's only one or two guys interested in the female protagonist and other gray areas. But we are now at a point where I can be strict with labeling reverse harem. Let's start with the classification of reverse harem-ness. This is for my sake too if in case I run off course again.


1. Five Flowers - This is literally reverse harem. The heroine has a harem of her own in her inner chamber. And we only have one example for this, manga and drama, Ooku. UPDATE: Please check STAGES OF REVERSE HAREM for more examples. 


2. Four Flowers -This is the most commonly accepted definition. Three or more guys with romantic interests with the heroine. For example, Angelique in otome games, Ouran High School Host Club in anime and manga and You're Beautiful in Asian Drama. The guys are usually in a group or sometimes the girl is the only denominator, for example, Hot Gimmick. The heroine usually chooses a guy or for some otome-based anime, none at all. Reverse harem has crossed to Western Fiction in books with the heroine having relationships with all the guys. There are some who undergo gender reversal from male to female for example, Ouji to Majou to Himegimi.   



4.5 Flowers - This is mixed harem harem as popularized by My Next Life as a Villainess with the heroine attracting all genders. I'm also seeing female characters becoming like an unofficial member of the reverse harem like in Kiss Him, Not Me, I Fell into a Reverse Harem Game, I Was Reincarnated as the Villainess in an Otome Game but the Boys Love Me Anyway! and The Reincarnated Princess Spends Another Day Skipping Story Routes. UPDATE: Adding Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury


3. Three Flowers  - This is the gray area. The guys are on different timelines or place or  just hinting interest. For example, Akagami no Shirayuki (manga and anime) and First Girl (manga). May or may not be reverse harem. There are at times too that the reverse harem or romance plays as a secondary theme like in the cases of Code: Breaker and Shugo Chara.

The levels below are no longer reverse harem but for classification sake and for fun we'll include them in the levels. 


4. Two Flowers - These are the girl with flowers boys, the only girl in all-boy school/club/whatever, the only girl in the dorm/home, the girl disguised as a boy in all an-boy school/club etc. It's usually just one or two guys who like the girl. For Example: Fruits Basket, Hana Yori Dango and Hana Kimi. For the longest time, I've been considering them as reverse harem and I love these titles but it's time to set clear boundaries.  I may or may not blog  about it but if I do it will be tagged under Related Reviews. 


4. One Flower -  Heroine? Check. Bevy of Bishonen? Check. Romance? Zilch. These are usually multimedia aimed at women for example Idolish 7 and B-Project. It will be tagged under Related too. 


5. Zero Flower - These are usually otome games turned anime with the heroine left on the chopping block.  For Example, Dynamic Chord and Bakumatsu. I also consider bishonen anime under here like Free and anthropomorphism like Miracle Train. Sorry, I do not watch this type since I still have so much reverse harem backlog in my plate. 

UPDATE: We can also add otome games with gender neutral characters for example Obey Me. What do you think? 
 
You may or may not agree with some of my points. There is no clear definition that was set in stone that hey this is reverse harem so you must all follow it. This is my attempt at defining reverse harem as the genre evolved on its own. Who knows these levels may be updated again in the future. We'll see. I will be creating tags for the levels soon.


UPDATE: 
9/23/21- Added 4.5 Flower
922/23- Adding Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury under 4.5

Check out the most up-to-date version HERE.


Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

You can support through Kofi  or please whitelist!   

Comments

  1. I hope you could include a list of mangas manhwas anime dramas that are under each level of flowers also. Thank you! I love ypur blog💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to write a list I still haven't done to this day huhu but I might have a future project that is related to this. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Asking "Where I can find this?" will not be published. Thanks!

Also, I do not approve spam comments. :P

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...