Skip to main content

Drama Review: Alchemy of Souls Part 1~ most favorite reverse harem so far for the year


Alchemy of Souls Part 1 20 episodes | Available on Netflix

Naksu is a shadow assassin who has the power to do the forbidden alchemy of souls. Meanwhile, Jang Uk's energy gates have been closed by his father, disabling him to use any spells. An unlikely, complicated relationship will be forged between the two.

The premise is just the tip of the iceberg. And there are twists upon twists. So many details... so many elements... But it's all neatly tied up. Yes, no first impressions. Straight-up drama review. This is my most favorite reverse harem so far for the year! 

Alchemy of Souls is a cross between shonen anime and fantasy novels. Without explaining further, the shonen aspect involves Jang Uk. The world-building reminds me of fantasy novels. If you're a sucker too for so many world-building elements this will hit the spot. I can't remember enjoying this many fantasy elements in a Korean drama or any Asian drama in a long time.  

promotional photo

Is there romance? Is Alchemy of Souls a reverse harem? Yes and Yes. Reverse harem-wise, there are indeed three men and there was even an instance where they have an obligatory scene with all of them by episode 7.  (Also see Levels of Reverse Harem) 

The second lead is cute and they had a lot of cute moments too. Under normal circumstances, I would have fallen hard for him but in this case, the main couple's chemistry is so strong that it averted the Second Lead Syndrome.

Now on to the third guy. He grew on me too but not in a romantic kind of way. You'll feel bad for him. and if my hunch is right the story is trying to throw us off that he might be the enemy, especially in the second season. He seemed an airhead but he's allowing her to treat him with impertinence.   

And saving the best for last, Jang Uk. I first watched Lee Jae Wook (the actor) in Extraordinary You and his character made me confused if I will root for him or hate him. Thus there were mixed feelings when I first started Alchemy of Souls. But he has this charm that pulls your heartstrings. Then his multi-faceted expressions unravel and if you stare at him for so long you'll have this urge to hug him or kiss him or something haha Fill in your blank. 

Now Naksu. It's hard to talk about her without giving away spoilers but whatever the rumors are for the second season let us lean on the optimistic side. The only thing I'm giving away is that I love how...oops can't say that either. Gahhhhh! I just love, love, love her. Period.

When you watch too many kdramas, you gain romance and chemistry tolerance. But the finale of the second episode really did it for me. One of the most memorable scenes in the series. I haven't felt that in a while. The slightest touch. The soundtrack. It seems too early but it is the turning point of their dual relationship. My interest waned a bit when they treat it like a transaction (which is funny too btw) and with all the action going on. But the timing is pretty clever because it builds up the anticipation of their encounters. Seriously, their conversations and metaphors! Ugh! And the drama brings hugging to an entirely different level. 

It has a top-notch romance and an entertaining storyline. But it will not be complete without the supporting characters and their side stories. They add more fun and layers to the series. So there. There's romance, fantasy, action, drama, and comedy. It has everything and if you don't watch it, I don't know anymore. The only thing that I hated in the drama is when the good guys think they are one step ahead now but the villains always find a way to get away with it.

This one is from Hong Sisters who also wrote My Sassy Girl, My Girl, My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox, Hotel del Luna, and another reverse harem drama, You're Beautiful. And another reverse harem too from TVN. Click on the tag for other reverse harem shows under TVN. Share your thoughts on the drama in the comments. 

P.S. My sister-in-law mentioned if they can make this type of special effects... why not make Fushigi Yugi? Now I can't stop thinking about it. A Korean adaptation of Fushigi Yugi! Universe of the Four Gods do your thing!

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned: (as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases):

FUSHIGI YUGI Complete Series 1 & 2 Ep 1-52 + OVA 1-9 (3-Box sets) 12 DVDS https://amzn.to/3DyGaWU
Fushigi Yûgi: Byakko Senki, Vol. 1 https://amzn.to/3eXUGNY

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram | Tiktok 

If you enjoyed this post please consider buying Kofi. Shares and whitelisting of the site are also appreciated. :)

 

 




Comments

  1. I decided to finish this drama (I watched like 2 eps before) because of the review and wow!!! This drama is amazing!! It was a little bit slow at the beginning but I was finding myself unable to stop watching soon enough. I love how the main lead had three (possible) love interests but obviously Jang Uk will be endgame lol. Either way, I love her relationship with everyone. This drama is extremely well written and I enjoy that the main lead is extremely strong too. I like female leads in reverse harems who excel in something extremely well - intelligence, strength etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you enjoyed it! I'm getting nervous with S2 now huhu

      Delete

Post a Comment

Asking "Where I can find this?" will not be published. Thanks!

Also, I do not approve spam comments. :P

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...