Skip to main content

Year 2018 in Review


Akatsuki no Yona

It's the time of the year again. And for the first time in ages, I am posting this right exactly on the last day of the year! Yay! Looking back, I feel like these all happened eons ago. Do you get that feeling too? Let's take a quick trip down the memory lane. This year, we have 7 anime, 5 dramas and 4 movies. Here's the list:



animes
Dame x Prince Anime Caravan
Yuuwaku Office Lover 2
Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan
Sweet Punishment
Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100-nin no Ouji-sama TV
Phantom in the Twilight
Kiskis! My Boyfriend are Mint Candies!

dramas
The Flame's Daughter
Meteor Garden
To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Top Management
Prince of Legend

movies
The Princess and The Matchmaker
Love x Doc
Kimi ga Kimi de Kimi da
Gekijouban Tokimeki Restaurant ☆☆☆ MIRACLE6 

There are more titles this year compared to last year's. All of the anime are otome game adaptations except for Sweet Punishment which is based on manga; Kiskis!, a promotional anime for mints and Phantom in the Twilight, an original anime. For dramas, they are all adaptations of manga and novels except for Prince of Legend. There are so many books being released that I can't keep track of it while for manga I have not touched new ones. And as usual, I didn't play any otome game at all even though I downloaded the apps.

I realized I only finished three reverse harem animes from 2018. Kiskis and Sweet Punishment which are super short and Idolish 7 which turned out to be not a reverse harem at all. I did finish Sengoku Night Blood this year. But I watched more dramas/live action. The 52 episodes of The Flame's Daughter (yes 52), Top Management, To All The Boys I've Loved Before and I'm halfway through Meteor Garden 2018. I've also watched last year's Good Morning Kiss and of course, the first season, Good Morning Call and She's Gotta Have It. I watched Hanadan Next Season which is also not a reverse harem. I read last three books of Ghost Bird series and completed manga, Ouran High School Host Club and unfinished manhwa, Sarasah.

Meiji Tokyo Renka

Sadly, no top animes for me as I have not watched the rest of this year's anime save for just a couple of episodes each. Sorry if some of the titles will turn out to be not a reverse harem like in the case of Idolish 7. Another miss are the anime adaptation of Bakumatsu, Tenka Tōitsu Koi no Ran: Shutsujin! Saika 4-nin Shū and Sanrio Boys which turned out to be a bishonen animes. What were your favorite animes? For dramas, my favorites are Top Management and Good Morning Kiss but you have to go through the first season of GMK and I'm biased about the actors. I was so into the actors from The Flame's Daughter too that I had to finish it. I only had 8 reviews for the year and with still pending four titles, which is lesser compared to last year's 16 reviews. But I almost tied with last year's 71 posts with this year's total of 70 posts. 

Stageplays are still unstoppable. Some have already run while some are just announcements. We have Diabolik Lovers, Hakuouki, Fushigi Yugi, Code Realize, Nil Admirari, Meiji Tokyo Renka, Fushigi Yugi, Sengoku Night Blood, Dame x Prince, Yona of the Dawn, Norn 9, Sanrio Boys, Arcana Famiglia, Ikemen Revolution, Nightshade, Yume 100, Dynamic Chord, Kamigami no Asobi, Collar x Malice, Black Bird, The Demon Prince of Momochi House and Basara. 

For English otome games here are the already released/announced titles: The Men of Yoshiwara: Kikuya (Gyakuten Yoshiwara ~Kikuya-hen~),  Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms (Hakuōki Shinkai: Hana no Shō) Steam Prison, London Detective Mysteria, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, Kitty Love: Way to Look for Love, Ephmeral ~ Fantasy on Dark~ , Iris School of Wizardy. There are a lot more I think but these are the only ones I was able to track.


Dance with Devils

So what are the trends for the year?

China- There are two reverse harem dramas: The Flame's Daughter (which received 5 billion views in China) and Meteor Garden and two anime: Kiskis! My Boyfriend are Mint Candies! and Phantom in the Twilight (collaboration between China and Japan). Can we expect more titles from China next year? But not all are good news, there's a Chinese company who ripped off Rejet's project that they had to cancel the collaboration.  

Streaming Sites- We have new enablers now from major streaming sites. Netflix Originals like Good Morning Call, Good Morning Kiss, Meteor Garden, She's Gotta Have it and To All The Boys I've Loved Before (most re-watched on Netflix). The latter two are getting sequels. For Youtube Originals we have Top Management and Idolish 7 Vibrato (okay not a reverse harem). 

Otome Reincarnations- This is not something new but noteworthy to mention especially now that we are getting an anime adaptation of Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta…As I was about to read this the light novel the anime was announced. Should I wait for the anime? Or should I read the light novel first? And does it mean others will follow suit too? This will be explored in a separate post as there are so many titles with the same theme.

Love/Teen Love Manga- Last year was the start of animes bordering on h scenes but being also tagged as romance. Fastforward to this year we have Sweet Punishment. The most problematic post I have ever written. I discovered there's actually a genre for this type which includes reverse harem too. *gulps* For R18 only. 

Nintendo Switch- Otome games are now being ported or released through Nintendo Switch now that PS Vita ceased in the West. Otomate will also release 12 titles through Switch.  You can also check the rest of the games on Otomekitten. Some of the ones available in English are: Kitty Love -Way to look for love-, The Men of Yoshiwara: Kikuya (Gyakuten Yoshiwara ~Kikuya-hen~), Iris School of Wizardy ~ Vinculum Hearts, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, Ephemeral ~ Fantasy on Dark~.

Remakes- This year we have Meteor Garden 2018 and more recently, a remake of Fruits Basket which is set to air next year. I am getting excited of the possibilities. Which anime/drama  would you like to get a remake?

Manga Live Action Adaptations- If otome games are getting anime adaptations, reverse harem manga are getting live action adaptations. For 2019 we will have Waiting for Spring (Harumatsu Bokura), Hajimete Koi o Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi and Hot Gimmick. So excited for Hot Gimmick! But there's always an exception to the rule. 

Multimedia- Multimedia is still the norm. To name a few: Prince of Legend which has TV, movie and game, Code: Realize TV anime, live action drama and live action film and more!  

Cocktail Prince

And then there were some lowlights too:

Cancellations -  Three games ended/will end: Tokimeki Restaurant, Cocktail Prince and Library Cross Infinite. Tokimeki had a movie release while the other two had anime plans which we'll never get now. Dramafever shuts down too. Magazines ceased publication like Kodansha and Bessatsu Hana To Yume. B's Log and Dengeki Girl's Style has switched to online platform. Phantom in the Twilight blue-ray release has been cancelled too. Another news which mysteriously disappeared is the Philippine version of Boys Before Flowers which is likely due to the licensing issue that it can only be remade every three years and Meteor Garden just recently aired. But to provide a silver lining from all these news, Ensemble Stars has resumed its plans for anime adaptation, but not sure though if it's a reverse harem at all. 

Scandals - Aside from the ripping off incident with Reject, Library Cross received heat from similarities with Yume 100's UI. Natsume Yudai, one of the actors stageplay adaptation of Ensemble Stars and Israel Broussard of To All The Boys I've Loved Before were both in hot waters after their old, inappropriate tweets came up. And in related news, Yusuke Yamamoto (Atashinci no Danshi, Ouran and Hana Kimi) plans a comeback next year after a scandal had his contract with his agency terminated. Park Yoochun (Sungkyunkwan Scandal) will also make a comeback slowly and gradually after a series of scandals and also breaking up with his fiance in May. Another drama that caught my attention is Four Men. It's not confirmed if it will be a reverse harem and we may not even know as it has been plagued by many problems including the lead actress and later on lead actor backing out.

Deaths- Not my favorite part of this post. :( Jeon Gi Sang, director of Boys Over Flowers and To The Beautiful You, died after being hit by a taxi. Jun Tae So, the handsome villain of Sungkyunkwan Scandal, died due to depression while Jo Min-ki, fourth prince's father in Scarlet Heart Ryo, committed suicide due to a scandal.

Norn 9

And in other notable news of the year:

Manga to Otome- We usually get otome to anime/manga, manga to anime/drama and even anime to otome/manga. But this year a manga to otome was announced. The manga, Sensual Phrase, inspired a romance rhythm mobile game, Kaikan Phrase Climax -Next Generation. It did received an anime version before but it was not a reverse harem. The game will also combines other elements of Mayu Shinju's other mangas. 

Weddings/Family- Matsudo Shota of Hana Yori Dango marries Akimoto Kozue. Choi Ji Woo of Star's Lovers and First 7 Kisses marries a non-celebrity. And just recently, Miura Shohei and Kiritani Mirei (co-stars of Suki Na Hito Ga Iru Koto) held their wedding reception last December 23. Meanwhile, Sakai Masato and Kanno Miho, co-stars of Ooku Emonnosuke・Tsukayoshi Hen, announced the birth of second child.

Military- Kim Bum (Boys Over Flowers) and Jang Geun-suk (You're Beautiful) enters military but both under alternative services due to hereditary illness and bipolar disorder respectively. Jung Il Woo of Cinderella and 4 Knights and Flower Boy Ramyun Shop was discharged this month.

Pop Culture-  In the comedy anime, Late Night! The Genius Bakabon, the father concocted an otome game concept of dating guys representing different kinds of ...poop. The game is titled 'Unko Danshi: Dokidoki Share House' and later on they actually created a browser game. 

Collaborations- I mentioned earlier of the Japanese and Chinese collaboration for Phantom in the Twilight. Aside from it, we have Brocolli collaboration with three different companies for projects aimed for women. Idea Factory collaborates too with Wright to produce reality factory with virtual YouTubers targeting women. I hope they are reverse harem-themed. Sega collaborates with Voltage in offering virtual reality wedding ceremony. Meteor Garden is also a collaboration between China and Taiwan.

Anniversaries- Reject and Honeybee celebrated 10th year anniversary while La Corda d'Oro celebrated 15th anniversary.

Yume 100

I think I have missed some details. If I did sorry! 

It's getting harder and harder for me to finish animes based on otome games and that is idol-themed. But I vow to finish all the 2018 animes next year! No old Asian dramas until I finish all remaining four. There I said so I wouldn't have a choice. I'm excited to try other reverse harem novels too now that I'm up to date with Ghost Bird. And I need to read more manga!

On a personal note, my plans of quitting my job might happen earlier than expected or might not happen at all. I'm not yet 100% sure of what the new year holds for me although I have already made plans. I'm scared but excited. Plus we're in the middle of a family crisis right now which actually involves my brother's health. Some days I just want to put the blog on hiatus which I could never do as this is my creative outlet that keeps me happy and sane. Thanks for continuing to visit Reverse Harem Garden and it would mean a lot to me if you can support me too on Patreon and the future plans I have set for the blog as well. Please follow Reverse Harem Garden too on Facebook for news, icons and other fun stuff and my personal Twitter for bishonen birthday RT and non-reverse harem stuff (lol). If you have any suggestions on what stuff you would want to see from the blog let me know. Happy New Year Wallflowers! Cheers to more reverse harem projects!

UPDATE 1/2/018 added Tenka Tōitsu Koi no Ran: Shutsujin! Saika 4-nin Shū under bishonen anime
UPDATE 1/5/2018 added Sanrio Boys under bishonen anime
UPDATE 1/29/2018 added Kaikan Phrase Climax -Next Generation under Notable News

Comments

Post a Comment

Asking "Where I can find this?" will not be published. Thanks!

Also, I do not approve spam comments. :P

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...