Skip to main content

Related/Movie Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before


Lara Jeans wrote letters to all the boys she've loved before but the letters got sent out to the ALL the guys!


Dear TATBILB,

I have mentioned this before that before the reverse harem western novels exploded I resorted to labeling young adult books as reverse harem novels with heroine and multiple guys such like this and E. Lockheart's The Boyfriend List. And as well as books unsuspecting of reverse harem trope like  Kiera Cass' The Heir. But now that the reverse harem is a genre in western setting novels, I noticed that that the heroine must make the reverse harem work with all the harem members unlike in eastern setting (Japanese, Korean, Chinese)  where the heroine chooses one or no one at all. The book where the movie is based on is kind of related to mangas or Asian dramas however the movie adaptation really made it about the main couple: Peter and Lara Jean. In the book, Josh didn't have that much participation but in the movie, it's like he barely existed. I was also hoping there was more of Josh even in the book but it's just the icky factor that he's her sister's boyfriend. The third guy will play a bigger role in the second book and Josh will be out of story. (Also, the actor for the third guy was recast. See news.) I kept on reading the series in hopes of getting a reverse harem closure but sadly I did not get one. I also had hopes that they will have more liberty in the movie of making it more of a reverse harem but it's surprisingly faithful to the book. As far as I can remember, I don't see any glaring difference with the book except for diminution of Josh's existence. Oh they also left an element from Josh and Margot.  

So which is better? Book or Movie? I normally would say books are always better than the movies if I have already read it. But in this case, I would say the movie. But let me set this straight first. I was so-so with the book but when I saw the trailer I was so excited. But after watching it I was back to being so-so again. Then the movie blew up and  TATBILB becomes most rewatched movie on Netflix and with a sequel on the works. I realized I had a set a very unrealistic expectation of the movie from the trailer. I realized too that this movie is now how Clueless was for me when I was a teenager.  I had rewatch it again from a rose colored glasses and not as a cynical adult and I can say I've enjoyed it the second time around. 

I liked the Instagram-worthy cinematography. The retro clothes.  The casting. I'm not gaga over Noah Centino though but I love Lara Candor! She's the perfect Lara Jean! It warms my heart when I see fans gushing their love through art, quotes and especially Asians dressing up as Lara Jean for Halloween. It's interesting to note too that it was released in this time where representation matters. The sisters were suggested to be whitewashed by producers before and thankfully the author didn't agree. But as much as I love the three actresses as sisters it's weird that they look all Asian yet different since they're from different descent.

Even though I don't watch much movies as I used to, my heart has a special place for late 90s and early 2000s teenage movies and romcoms. I'm glad Netflix has tapped into this market. I'm glad too that Netlfix has unconsciously become a reverse harem enabler (see She's Gotta Have It and Good Morning Call), well although this is not a straight up reverse harem, I hope this will get the industry to discover the appeal of reverse harem. My dream too is that for reverse harem novels to be adaptated into drama series like in CW or Netflix. And well I hope more manga or otomes games getting anime and drama adaptations too!

I still recommend to read the book. I also tried to watched 16 Candles from the movie contract but it's a very problematic movie for me. Sadly, I think this will be my last review of the series and I'll stop blogging news about this too. I was having second thoughts if I'll still blog the movie but this will be final love letter for the book that made me hope and dream of reverse harem novels. I'm happy that the book I tagged as reverse harem would someday be the most rewatched movie on Netflix and made young and young heart swoon.

P.S.
Yakult is not a Korean smoothie. It's a Japanese probiotic milk. 

Always and Forever,
Reverse Harem Garden

Please support Reverse Harem Garden on Patreon and follow on Facebook and Twitter. 

There are now stuff available for patrons only. Please support so you can check it out. The monthly goal is 2 reviews, 4 weekly news round up and 1 special feature. Patrons can have early access to the special feature too.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

Happy Anniversary!

Check the updated post here , By ayreesa Wee it's been a year already! Holy Grail My most favorite when I started watching animes was "Fushigi Yugi". Over the years I kept on looking for animes similar to "Fushigi Yugi" but I couldn't find one because I didn't know what I was looking for and my only resource then is AXN-Asia and Animax. In January 2007 (9 years after Fushigi Yugi) I picked a random title from Memento's site . I have no idea what the anime is about. All I care is that I want to watch an anime that is short and has an ending and it was "Ouran High School Host Club". Kirimi's statement is a phenomenal line that will later produce 180 posts, almost 50,000 hits and counting. It also paved the way for me to read mangas and watch Asian dramas. I couldn't also believe the only drama that I've watched "Meteor Garden", prior to Ouran is also a reverse harem. There's something about a girl and a lov...