Skip to main content

Year in Review 2017

from Kenka Bancho Otome

And just like that it's time for Year in Review again. While doing the review, I realized it was a slow year for reverse harem shows and movies. We only had four animes:  Kenka Bancho Otome: Girl Beats Boys, Code Realize, Ikemen Sengoku and Dance with Devils: Fortuna movie, which are all otome game adaptations. The rest of the Winter 2018 anime shows will be airing next year: Idolish 7
Dame X Prince, Yuuwaku Office Lover 2 and Gekijouban Tokimeki Restaurant ☆☆☆ MIRACLE 6.

For dramas, we have Ani ni Aisaresugite Komattemasu jdrama, Ani ni Aisaresugite Komattemasu movie and Five which are manga adaptations. I'm not sure yet with Seizei Ganbare Mahou Shoujo Kurumi and Good Morning Call Our Campus Days. And oh yeah we have one American TV show, She's Gotta Have it.


Another factor of lesser shows is due to otome games turned bishonen animes like Dynamic Chord, Sanrio Boys (to be aired in December), Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100-nin no Ouji-sama anime short and  Ikemen Sengoku: Toki wo Kakeru ga Koi wa Hajimaranai. I have already given up with Ikemen Sengoku and Idolish 7 but they both unveiled the heroine at the last stages of their promotion.

I didn't notice it was just a handful since it was a time for me to catch up with my backlog and boy oh boy I was able to spew 16 reviews compared to 7 reviews from last year. And 71 posts against last year's 52 posts. Good job, self. LOL But a career move happened in the last quarter so I am on mini-hiatus again. 

Another reason, I didn't notice the low turnout of aired animes is the illusion of abundance due to many updates of upcoming shows including those that were announced this year: Otome Yusha, Library Cross Infinite, B Project sequel, Meteor Garden remake, Boys Over Flowers remake and Uta Prince Sama Movie. 

Sadly, with the titles I've seen so far, no reverse harem animes or live action really stood out for me. My favorite anime and drama for this year that I've seen are ironically from last year's, which are Kamisama OVAs and Scarlet Heart: Moon Ryeo. Don't let me get started with Scarlet Heart or I won't stop.  

Stage adaptations continue that I have lost track of which were announced, has already played and which are on it's second or third adaptation. They are Kuro Bara Alice, two Diabolik Lovers, Korean Boys Over Flowers, Ikemen Sengoku, B Project, Code Realize, 3rd Ensemble Stars, Kamigami no Asobi, Prince of Stride, Red River, Dance with Devils and Sengoku Night Blood.

I've lost track of localizations too in the US. But here are the ones released: Ken ga Hana ni Shizumu Toki, Bad Apple Wars, Period Cube ~Torikago no Amadeus~,  Collar × Malice, Code Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ fan disc, Hakuouki: Sweet School Life. Princess Arthur, Shall We Date? Princess Arthur, Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds,  Nightshade, The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya and the very problematic Taisho Alice. The latter reminds me of the English version, Boys Before Flowers brouhaha. 

And here are the announced titles for 2018 releases:  7'scarlet PSVita, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly (Kokuchō no Psychedelica) PS Vita, Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk (Haitaka no Psychedelica) for PS Vita, Code:Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~ (Code:Realize ~Saikō no Hanataba~) for PS4 and Hakuouki Edo Blossoms. 

Two big game developers have also entered otome game apps. Square Enix with Kimi to Kiri no Labyrinth smartphone app and Sega with an idol raising app from the same character designer of Uta Pri.

And for other industry news, Voltage created anime and IP division, Brocolli sales went down 70% during first half of fiscal year and Otomate will have its own building with cafes, merchandise etc. 

Dance with Devils

Meanwhile, English reverse harem novels have exploded! It has even overrun #reverseharem on Twitter. You'll see it's more of novels now instead of animes. There are so many serials, novels etc. that I feel so overwhelmed. The only books I read this year though were The Crown, Seraph Black and Always and Forever, Lara Jean. Seraph Black trumps the other two. But the biggest news of all book-wise is the filming of the movie adaptation of To All The Boys I've Loved Before. 

For mangas, I only read Fushigi Yugi, Genbu Kaiden, Byakko Ibun onehsot and Watashi No Ookami Kun. I recommend all three. Two sequels were also released this year, Fushigi Yuugi Byakko Senki and Atashi No Nadja: 16-sai no Tabidachi novel. 

My blog also turned 10 this year and I have yet to blog my review for the decade. Other titles which also celebrated their 10th anniversaries are Haruka, Oresama Teacher, Vitamin X and Hakuouki. And I'm also glad my former company, GMA Network, had success with its soap opera, Meant To Be, and is now in the works for Boys Over Flowers remake. 

And speaking of remakes, the most intriguing of all is the Chinese adaptations of Red River and Saiunkoku Monogatari. Aside from the tweets, there's been no update at all and there's no mention if they were able to acquire the rights.

The year was also rocked by scandals and controversies: Yamanote Yusuke (Atashi no Danshi, Ouran, Hana Kimi), Abe Tsuyoshi (Hana Yori Dango), Yoo Ah In (Sungkyunkwan Scandal), Yoochoon (Sungkyunkwan Scandal) and Lee Min Ho's (Boys Before Flowers, First 7 Kisses) breakup with Suzy. Sulli (To The Beautiful You) was also named the most Googled person of 2017 in Korea. 

But it wasn't all that bad. It was a year of relationships and families too. While Yoochun and Yoo Ah In are getting negative publicity, their other Sungkyunkwan co-star, Song Joong Ki headlines the wedding of the year for the Song-Song couple. Emi Takei (Asuko March) also marries and is pregnant but at the cost of her contract. Horikita Maki (Hana Kimi, Atashinchi no Danshi) also retires to concentrate with her family. Jerry Yan (Meteor Garden) is rumored to be dating with his ex-girlfriend. Kiritani Mirei and Miura Shoh ( both from Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto) has confirmed they are dating. 

And many beautiful boys enlisted this year too including our very own Lee Min Ho, Taecyeon (First 7 Kisses) , Ji Chang Wook (First 7 Kisses) and Kang Ha Neul (Scarlet Heart).

OMG I can't believe it I made this post before the year ended! I'm just late in publishing. But hey, it's still 2017 in the other side of the world. My post-Christmas wish is quality animes and dramas and my New Year's resolution is to read more mangas and books!

Comments

  1. Happy new year!! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Asking "Where I can find this?" will not be published. Thanks!

Also, I do not approve spam comments. :P

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...