Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary!

Check the updated post here,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By ayreesa

Wee it's been a year already!

Holy Grail

My most favorite when I started watching animes was "Fushigi Yugi". Over the years I kept on looking for animes similar to "Fushigi Yugi" but I couldn't find one because I didn't know what I was looking for and my only resource then is AXN-Asia and Animax. In January 2007 (9 years after Fushigi Yugi) I picked a random title from Memento's site. I have no idea what the anime is about. All I care is that I want to watch an anime that is short and has an ending and it was "Ouran High School Host Club". Kirimi's statement is a phenomenal line that will later produce 180 posts, almost 50,000 hits and counting. It also paved the way for me to read mangas and watch Asian dramas. I couldn't also believe the only drama that I've watched "Meteor Garden", prior to Ouran is also a reverse harem. There's something about a girl and a love dodecangle of swoon-worthy bishies.

Big Bang Theory

I've always wondered who coined the word 'reverse harem'. Hands down "Ouran" popularized the buzzword in 2006. But the contenders of the first cookie-cut reverse harem with one girl surounded by three or more guys are Yuu Waatase's "Fushigi Yugi "and Yoko Kamio's "Hana Yori Dango". Both mangas debuted in 1992. "Fushigi Yuugi " in May, while "Hana Yori Dango" in October. For the anime versions FY first ran in 1995, while HYD aired a year later. Animes preceding this two may be considered reverse harem retrospectively. I think these two officially set the trend in stone and no earlier anime may equal the cult following and franchise these two earned. I'm also thinking that reverse harems probably evolved (aside from branching out from harem) from stories wherein girls have multiple suitors or love interests spread out in different timeline like "Candy Candy" (1975) and "Georgie" (1981). They're kinda like grandmothers of reverse harems. For otome games, the first generally acknowledged is "Angelique" which was first released in 1994.

Devices

Statistically there are a lot of girls over boys, but all it takes is some common cliches and creative storytelling for a reverse harem recipe. There's the guardians, all-boy clubs, girls disguised as a boy or the only girl student in an all boy-school, stepbrothers, girl in an all-boy dorm or house and more. In some cases, they don't use these devices and guys with no connection or relation to each other fall for our heroine. Of course, the guys will represent a character stereotype as further explained by Kirimi like the prince type, twincest etc. More bishies, more variety.

Ze Future

I decided to create my first and only fansite after I've seen all the reverse harem animes listed in wikipedia (They deleted it BTW but here's how the list looks like) and I couldn't find a resource. After each manga or drama that I've finished I tell to myself oh well it's time to start reading the manga versions of the animes but up to this day I've never done it yet. Because every day I discover some old and new titles. I didn't know that it had been around for such a long time and it must be getting more popular as we learn new projects. In case you've noticed I havn't started any otome review yet. I really appreciate those who frequently visit this site, who recommended titles and who shared their thoughts since I first started this. Keep on supporting this site and hopefully the animation studios will also realize that we need more reverse harems!

P.S.

Why Reverse Harem Garden? Hmm.. Let's see "Boys over Flowers", "For you in Full Blossom," "Meteor Garden", "The Wallflower"...The uber-abundance of roses in "Ouran High School Host Club" and sakuras in "Saiunkoku Monogatari". And to sum this all up here's a cheesy haiku that I wrote in the banner before:

red rosebud blossoms
bishonens by the dozens
love blooms in eden

Comments

  1. congrats! nice job on the blog! i really enjoy it. (:
    also, i just found i reverse harem that i'm not completely sure that you have read. It's called crown and you can find it on mangafox. i found it absolutely addicting and cute and UGH. I can't describe it. Check it out! keep on updating! i check every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture you have :D
    Anyways, thank you for keeping this blog, it's really fun to check out. Also, i enjoy listening to the japanese theme songs that i've gotten addicted to when i watched the anime.
    anyways, thank YOU and I love you for making this blog so god bless you~ lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ hannah- is that the complete title?

    @ hannah and mk- thanks for the motivation =^^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks heaps for keeping this blog. I found a reverse harem manga you may not have read. its called "Barajou no Kiss". Only the first chapter is out so far but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup someone already suggested it but thanks too. I'll try to read it this weekend because I realized I haven't read a single manga for a month already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear : person who made this blog,

    soz i didn't know what to call u lol! I just wanted to say that i think this website is AMAZING. I love reverse harem anime so i can totally empathize with you!

    I was looking through your animes that you recommend and i have seen a lot of them so it just shows we both have the same tastes!

    I know of some animes you don't have down, they are:
    Angelique neo abyss - an quite unrelated spin off to the angelique series but it is amazing!

    Hakushaku to Yosei/Earl and Fairy - this is great as well.

    Hope that is useful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can call me ayreesa :) Yup i've seen NAA and watching Earl & Fairy too. I hope Earl & Fairy will become a reverse harem. Drop by anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I really wish you'd make that reverse harem list up again. I'm sure there's some I've missed. (I think I've seen 90% of them already.) ;o;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for putting together this awesome blog! I've just only realised that the specific genre of manga/anime I like is in fact "reverse harem", so this is a wealth of info for me ^^. Arigatou goazaimasu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recommend Super Darling!, Stray Love Hearts (SLH), Crimson Empire, Akatsuki no Yona, and Saver. I'm not really sure if Akatsuki no Yona is reverse harem but there are lots of stereotypical bishies serving one girl... and Saver's art is a little on the off side but the main character is someone I really admire (you just need to get past the first volume). Sorry if I repeated anything you've already mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for creating such a great reference source, it makes my life a lot easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I've already posted the mangas except for AnY. Ive read it before but it kinda felt non-rh but I'll have to pick it up again. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Asking "Where I can find this?" will not be published. Thanks!

Also, I do not approve spam comments. :P

Popular posts from this blog

šŸ‘‘ 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. šŸ˜…Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

šŸ’Ž18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  šŸƒ Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive šŸ‘©‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   šŸŖ Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

Freshest News: Ouran High School Host Club Anime Launches 20th Anniversary X Account

  Ouran High School Host Club opens a new anime account on X to commemorate its 20th anniversary. In this screwball romantic comedy, Haruhi, a poor girl at a rich kids’ school, is forced to repay an $80,000 debt by working for the school’s swankiest, all-male club—as a boy! There she discovers just how wealthy the six members are and how different the rich are from everybody else…  (See  Ouran Reviews ) So I posted my bold prediction on Patreon 19 hours ago and then, four hours later… ta-da! Are we finally getting a sequel??!! Oh please, please, please. —Ayreesa As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases: Ouran High School Host Club Box Set (Vol. 1-18) manga  https://amzn.to/3KFqo28   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this update, you can support me with a Ko-fi! Every cup helps keep the garden blooming. 🌸 Patreon-  Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join  The Forbidden Garden  on Patreon!  Foll...