Skip to main content

Book Review: Ruby Oliver Quartet


Ruby Oliver Quartet by E. Lockheart

Book 1: The Boyfriend List: (15 guys, 11 shrink appointments, 4 ceramic frogs, and me, Ruby Oliver)

Book 2: The Boy Book: a study of habits and behaviors, plus techniques for taming them

Book 3: The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver

Book 4: Real Live Boyfriends: yes, boyfriends, plural, if my life weren't complicated I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver

Ruby Oliver is a fifteen year old girl who has penchant for vintage clothes and fishnet stockings, loves animals, a vegan and a magnet to boy drama. She lost her bestfriends. She was dumped by her boyfriend. She's now a school outcast and they all think she's a slut because of that boyfriend list. Did I forget to mention that she's also seeing a shrink?

This is a young adult series but there are mature themes that are not suitable for very young readers.


This is the first time that I'll be reviewing reverse harem books as a whole and completed series. While I was reading the first book, I was thinking this is too highschool for me. But as I've finished it. I wasn't satisfied. I refused to get an ending where she didn't get closure or revenge. I thought I'll forego reading the rest of the quartet. But I need to know what happens next. Before I knew it, I have finished the quartet earlier that I have intended to. I originally planned on doing a one book, one review. And now, I'm in a dilemma on possibly sharing spoilers if I do the per book review in one go and I think it's hard for me to focus on just one part of a book when I know how it will all pan out. So instead I'll just share my thoughts about the book series as a whole.

The shrink element is the heart of the series. There are a lot of hard questions that makes Ruby to be honest with why she is who she is. It also makes me take a hard look on myself on why I make awful or stupid decisions which we would normally be too guilty to confront even to ourselves. The shrink represents her conscience and her sanity. The fact that she's afraid of being judged by Doctor Z, her shrink, Ruby gets to be more analytic of her own. I also like the fact that as the book progress, Ruby gets to understand more herself and answer her own dilemmas. Even without Doctor Z, she can already anticipate the truths and the consequences of her answers. I don't think I was this dramatic in my younger years, but it's so spot-on with the decisions I made in my adult years. I'm also not a critic who can turn a character inside and out and psychoanalyze them for their "special snowflake". I love that Ruby's character is far from perfect and unapologetic about it. Even though it's a young adult and about teenage life, the book is about maturity and finding yourself.

There's going to be a lot of boy problems up until the end. I was also able to guess 90% of the boys who are going to progress in the succeeding books. It's too easy too since they're the normal boys from the bunch but some fared to the direction I didn't expect them to be. Although the titles are a dead giveaway that it's all going to be about boys, it's also about her relationships with her friends and her family too. I'm just not happy how she didn't get closure to those people who are mean to her. You know in Hollywood movies where heroines get revenge in the end. What also make the books seem more real is that the book consistently ended with so-so ending. No major plot twists that is such the trend in everything right now. Lockeheart didn't get to the route of perfection. If it's an anime or manga, it's going to be a slice of life shoujo filled with teenage angst. I also liked her style of writing, specifically with Ruby Heart's verbose character. There's also a creative abuse of footnotes. Half the time I like it, but half the time I don't. I find it irritating when I'm on a good part. But I liked the footnotes about the movies. I've seen 80-90% of the movies that were mentioned and I enjoyed the unusual categorization I've never expected. I was a voracious movie addict up until two or three years ago. I don't enjoy the quality of movies nowadays. 

The book hits something in me. When I was in highschool I always make up a list of all my crushes and a timeline of how they will all become my boyfriends. Like I'm gonna break up with this guy after a month, then move on with the next and so on and so forth. I have TONS of crushes. A trip from my home to school is a constant lookout of all my crushes who might be waiting for their ride. I'm boy crazy but they were all just in my head. Blame it probably on studying in an all-girls school.

There's a lot of guys that will not be necessarily become your boyfriend but there'll be some connection. There's this neighbor who was my accidental first kiss. It was just an accidental smack whilst playing! I think he likes me but he never got to confess. Plus his sister is my bestfriend. Then there's this guy in highschool, where we confessed that we liked each other over the phone. We always talked for hours and hours but we never became a thing. Years later he became one my husband's closest friends. He was part of our wedding entourage and the godfather our firstborn. In college, I received this flowers from S.A (Secret Admirer yeah cheesy...I know!), turns out it was from the only guy friend that I have in my life! He's really nice and the perfect boyfriend material but I see him only just as a friend. So we just continued being friends. I could go on and on. I know you're probably thinking now of those guys you never thought mattered and never became a boyfriend are actually included in your own Boyfriend List. (I do hope these guys or my husband never get to read this!!! ) 

The book also reminds me of Jenny Han's To All The Boys I've Loved Before. Lara Jean wrote a letter to the guys that she liked. Ruby wrote a list of the boys that she liked and whatnot. Lara Jean's letters were mailed directly to the guys in question. Ruby's list was plastered all over the school. In both cases, the girls are the catalyst to giving them a common denominator to form a reverse harem situation. 

We all fantasize for a reverse harem life, but take it from Ruby from page 135 of Book 1: 
Just once, I'd like to see a situation where there were too many boys
Oh. That situation with too many boys? I have seen it. It was my actual life at the end of the sophomore year. And it was not pretty.
Be careful what you wish for, because it can be a complete debacle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

👑 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads from 2020-2025 (Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons, Light Novels & More!)

Hello, Wallflowers! This is Ayreesa.  I recently shared my 18 Gems :  reverse harem reads from 2007–2019 that shaped me. Now it’s time for my personal favorite* reverse harem reads from 2020 to present , listed in the order I read them. Personal favorite = Some are problematic. 😅Sorry! Who knows, this might turn into one of your treasured favorites, too! Winning a copy of Mia and the Forbidden Medicine   Report back in 2020 gave me the push to request review copies and start covering licensed titles + licensing news . I’d love to cover even more stories, but both time and budget keep me from reading everything on my list. To make the most of my schedule, I share quick impressions and mini-reviews on Patreon. If you’d like to help me keep exploring new titles, you can support me through Patreon or Ko-fi . E very bit means so much!  This is Part 2 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with...

19th Anniversary Week Begins ~ A Reverse Harem Anniversary Roundup

I stopped making these because they took forever... but old habits die hard, because I never really stopped keeping track. So tada! Here’s another year of reverse harem and RH-like titles from the past 12 months or so. Which are your favorites? Fushigi Yugi 30th anniversary ( Source ) Angelique 30th  anniversary   (Source) Ouran High School Host Club 20th anniversary   (Sources 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 )   Shugo Chara 20th anniversary   ( Sources 1 ,   2  & individual photos ) Neo Angelique 20th anniversary ( Source ) Reverse Harem Garden 19th anniversary Anniversary week is here, and a few exciting surprises are lined up!  Stay tuned! And from this point on... yes, Reverse Harem Garden is older than these titles below. Uta No Prince Sama 15th anniversary (Sources 1 & 2 ) Amnesia 15th anniversary (more icons here ) Arcana Famiglia 14th anniversary ( Source ) Diabolik Lovers 14th Anniversary ( Source ) UPDATED 9/23/2026 Ikemen Sengoku 11th...

All-Time Top Ten Reverse Harem Anime

Hello Wallflowers! I am not going to do a decade in review since I did that already a couple of years ago. but I am loooong overdue for my top 10 anime. I actually made one coincidentally a decade ago but it's a consolidated top 10 of everything from anime, manga and dramas as the titles are fewer back in 2010. I should have done it sooner but it's the nagging feeling that I should finish everything before I can post this. What if there's a hidden gem in my backlog that piled up beginning 2015 (due to pregnancy)?  Fast forward to last year and major life events later, I have finished nine anime in eight months. It felt like forever. And after that, I found out I could actually start the list even without watching the backlog. LOL But the good thing is I was able to finish it and that has put off a lot of guilt feelings from me. I mean who blogs about reverse harem and never watches past the first episode??? Sadly, I don't remember most of the story of the anime...

🌸 Spring Reverse Harem 2025 🌸 (anime, dramas, manga, manhwa, webtoons and light novels)

Hey there, wallflowers! 🌸 Spring is here, and if you're new to Reverse Harem Garden, I also include kinda and unconfirmed reverse harem titles. And I have actually created five different levels of reverse harem and to know more about it, I highly recommend checking out Levels of Reverse Harem after this.  This list will be updated continuously, so stay tuned. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy watching and reading!  And a few disclaimers: There's a separate spring list on Patreon so make sure to check it out. Follow Reverse Harem Garden's socials.   ( Youtube   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Instagram  |  Tiktok  )   Titles that haven’t been reviewed yet are considered unconfirmed reverse harem. Dates may change, and videos might not be available in all regions. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.   Ko-fi   – If you enjoyed this post, you can support me wi...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour, Hana-Kimi Rumored 3rd Season, Roxana Comeback & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/Levels of Reverse Harem.  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Commemorative photo for song: "Aikotoba". Please Excuse My Younger Brothers 2nd Cour anime starts on October 15. The anime premiered on July 3 and will run for 24 episodes. More information on ANN .  (Kinda reverse harem only. Mini-reviews on Patreon.)  The manga is available on Mangaplaza. It also had a live-action movie released in December 2024. Ito is a second-year high school student and an only child who has to move to a different city; her mother remarried and begins her new life as an older sister of 4 siblings! The start of a family-love-comedy with four step-brothers. from S2 According to Sugoi LITE , a third season of Hana-Kimi anime is reportedly in development and scheduled to premiere in 2027. No official confirmation yet....

Reverse Harem Freshest News: A Tale of the Secret Saint Anime Main PV & Premiere Date, Please Save My Earth Drama Teaser & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  Some may fall under 'Kinda Reverse Harem'. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. more information on official site A Tale of the Secret Saint anime is set to premiere on October 3, 2026. The main PV has also been released. Seven Seas has licensed both the light novel and manga. More information on    ANN . Fia always dreamed of becoming a knight. Born into a family of knights, she's the least talented among them, but she still clutches to her hope and trains with everything she has. When the day comes for her to slay a small demon and prove her worth, she ends up face to face with a dragon instead! A deadly injury makes her life flash before her eyes…and she suddenly remembers her former life, when she was a powerful Saint in a bygone era who defeated the Demon King. That life ended in pain because of who she was, ...

🌸 The Bloom Index 🌸~ Levels of Reverse Harem (Updated)

This is the most updated version. Originally created in 2019. See original post .  The Bloom Index is a work in progress and may change arbitrarily. Some titles may also change levels as the story progresses. Drop a flower emoji 🌸 in the comments if you want me to post 'Five Flowers' titles. --Ayreesa Want early access, mini-reviews, and exclusive reverse harem content? Join now on Patreon ! Follow on: Tiktok | Youtube   |   Facebook   | Twitter   | Instagram  

🌸 START HERE 🌸 Reverse Harem Garden: The Ultimate Resource Guide

Welcome to Reverse Harem Garden! 18 years of chronicling the past, present, and future of reverse harem through curation and commentary. Whether you're new to reverse harem or a longtime fan, here's a curated collection of the Garden's most popular guides and recommendations. 🌷The Garden Essentials Reverse Harem Anime 2026 Reverse Harem Dramas 2026 Archive Yearly lineup of titles on Patreon  🍃 Seasonal Guides Winter 2026 Spring 2026 Summer 2026 Fall 2026 Archive 👩‍🌾  Editor's Picks 18 Roses: Top 18 Reverse Harem Anime 18 Candles: Top 18 Reverse Harem Dramas 18 Treasures: Favorite Reverse Harem Reads (2020-2025 Manga, Manhwa, Webtoons & Novels ) 18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me (2007-2019 Manhwa, Manga & Novels) Other Top 10s   🪏 Reverse Harem 101 Intro to Reverse Harem and Reverse Harem Garden  Bloom Index / Levels of Reverse Harem    UPDATED Defining Reverse Harem Through Different Lenses: Reverse Harem Garden's Bloom Index, Jose...

💎18 Gems: Reverse Harem Reads That Shaped Me from 2007-2019 (Manhwa, Manga & Novels)

Hello wallflowers! This is Ayreesa. These 18 titles span 2007–2019 , my ultimate scanlation era . I didn't include series that already have anime adaptations and focused on stories I’ve finished or followed through many volumes. They are arranged in the order I read them. If you are new to reverse harem, treat these as hidden gems of reverse harem, but be warned that some tropes may feel dated or problematic today. This is Part 1 of 4 of Reverse Harem Garden  18th birthday series .  In the Philippines, a debut ball includes dancing with 18 boys who each offer a rose—known as the 18 Roses—and receiving 18 candles and messages from girls. Some even add their own twist with 18 gifts, 18 bills, or even 18 shoes… you get the idea. Some are kinda reverse harem. See Levels of Reverse Harem. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases 1. Hot Gimmick manga by Miki Aihara   Manga Review Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1  https://amzn.to/42fIZIa Hot Gimmick S   https...

Reverse Harem Freshest News: Red River Anime Gets 2nd Cour, My Happy Marriage Specials Update, Anime NYC 2026 Announcements & More!

  DISCLAIMERS:  -Some are not confirmed reverse harem unless reviewed.  -Some may fall under kinda reverse harem. See more of Bloom Index/ Levels of Reverse Harem .  -As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Anime News: 🗡️𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚁𝙰𝙲𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙿𝚅🗡️ ▶︎ラムセス CV: #斉藤壮馬 「言ったろ、俺は欲しいものは  必ず手に入れるってな 国も女も」 公式TikTokでも公開中🎥 https://t.co/LSBXkWFRto #アニメ天河 9月29日(火)より第2クール放送決定! これまでの放送回は各配信サービスにて配信中🌟… pic.twitter.com/L2haRDKwM8 — 『天は赤い河のほとり』TVアニメ公式 (@tenkawa_anime) August 24, 2026 Red River anime is getting a second cour, which will start on September 29, 2026, bringing the series total to 24 episodes. Two new characters have been unveiled: User Ramses and Juda Haspasrupi. More details on CR .  See Manga Review . Anime Mini-reviews on Patreon. Yuri, a pretty Japanese girl, is ecstatic after passing her college entrance exam and having her first kiss with her childhood friend-turned boyfriend. However, her luck soon changes. She starts to notice that wa...